Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Go See This Movie on Friday!!!



I read the book Blue Like Jazz while living in Austin shortly after I had graduated from UT. At that time, I felt like I related to some of the characters in the book which really encouraged me where I was in my faith. So 9 years later when I saw that the book I loved so much was being released as a movie, I signed up to help promote it in any way I could!

Donald Miller, Author of Blue Like Jazz
In March, we got to go to a screening of the movie and hear from the Donald Miller (author of the book), Steve Taylor (the director) and Marshall Allman (Marshall Allman). Usually when you really love a book, seeing the movie version is a let down. Not so in this case! The director let Donald Miller have a lot of say in the movie process. I'm not going to summarize the movie or write a review because you can just google Blue Like Jazz if you want that information. My favorite line from the movie was when Don said "...sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself..." referring to how his friend Penny loved Jesus. My favorite scene was at the very end, it was so beautiful and powerful. As I found out later, it wasn't just acting.
Marshall Allman
It was so interesting to hear from the artists involved in creating the movie. Marshall Allman said that on the day he was offered the part, he and his wife had prayed together that morning asking God to provide for them. He was honestly expressing to God his disappointment because he felt God had called him to pursue acting and he was struggling to find work. God not only gave him a part in a movie, but the opportunity to work on a project that he truly believed in.
The Q & A session at the screening.
I also appreciated hearing the director talk about the content of the film and his desire to present reality without being gratuitous. I thought they did an awesome job of showing life on a college campus without being unnecessarily vulgar. He said that just because a film is faith based doesn't mean it has to be family friendly. Amen!

I just want to encourage everyone, no matter what you believe, to go see this movie! At the screening they said that how well the movie does on opening day, Friday, April 13th, will determine everything.

My friend Mindy and I had fun putting up posters around town to help promote the movie. Not easy with 2 kiddos in tow! That should tell you how much I believe in this movie!

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh - way cool! i want to see this movie too - i think you were the one that first told me about this book.

    ReplyDelete