Sunday, February 24, 2013

Encourage a parent today

The girls and I go to a music class at a church down the street once a week and really enjoy it.  Although I am not musical, I love and appreciate music and want to give the girls the opportunity to pursue whatever level of music they might be interested in.

Their sweet music teacher told us that she was going to be in a concert at the church and invited the children to come.  Since Brad is the musician in the family, I asked if he wanted to take Anna and he was so excited to do it.  
 As they were getting ready for their date, daddy pulled out his trumpet and played it for Anna.  I think this really peaked her interest in going to the concert.
  
This little one is always so curious and not shy about it!


Of course, she wanted a turn.
She was so determined to make a noise. :)
Anna loved it and came home telling me that when she is bigger, she is going to march with daddy in a band.  Her teacher also let her come up on the stage and see her cello, which was definitely a highlight.

Brad came home from the concert just beaming and kept telling Anna what a great time he had with her.  He told me how much he enjoyed getting to experience something that used to be such a big part of his life with his child.  It must have showed at the concert because Brad said that two elderly ladies were sitting behind him and at intermission told him that they enjoyed watching him with his daughter more than the concert itself!  This was so encouraging to him.

The day before, my sister called to tell me a story about her latest shopping trip to Kroger.  She is 8 months pregnant and an elderly man asked her when the baby was due.  After she answered, he told her "thank you for being a mama".  She was so touched by his unexpected words.  

 These two comments made by strangers, remind me of the power of words, especially encouraging ones.  It is also a challenge to me to step outside my comfort zone and say something to another mama, or anyone for that matter, that will brighten their day.

But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.  Hebrews 3:13

No comments:

Post a Comment