Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Just Mom and Me Having Tea

A couple months after Caleb was born, I noticed that my sweet oldest girl needed some extra one on one time.  I wanted to do something intentional and when came across this book, I decided to go through it with Anna while her siblings took naps.  We have done it three times and not at any regularity (like I originally planned), but Anna just lights up when we sit down to do it together.  I recently heard a mom of grown kids say that they will remember the times that you did special things and will not think back on those memories feeling like you should have done those things more often.  That was a freeing thought to me! 
 I got tears in my eyes when I read this on the first page "Seeing myself as being someone special takes clear thinking.  I can't be full of pride over who I am, but God's love does set me apart.  And I'm learning that if I know I'm special in God's sight, my daughter will follow in my footsteps".  I guess it just struck a chord in me because I've struggled with believing God's love for me and that is something I never want Anna (or Haven and Caleb) to question.  One gift of parenting is how redeeming it can be.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea - thanks for sharing. I just bought the book. Also a great reminder to not focus on our failures.

    ReplyDelete