Monday, October 21, 2013

Caleb's First Few Days

 I love the first days/weeks after a new baby is born.  There is so much excitement and love from family and friends as everyone comes to meet the new little one.  I also appreciate being in a hospital and having at least one night with just Brad and the new baby.  Being in that setting again brought back a flood of memories of when the girls were born.  I don't take for granted that I have been able to do this not once or twice, but three times.  Tears are streaming down my face as I write this.  I am eternally grateful and have treasured these things in my heart.

 Here he is just minutes old and in the classic blue and pink hat and baby feet blanket.
 
 Daddy doing skin to skin kangaroo care. (love that Harris Methodist encourages dads to do this!)
 
 Not even a day old and he gave his first hook 'em and no it was not posed!
 
 When Caleb was born his blood sugar was a little low, so they had to prick him every hour to measure it.  He just barely failed the test a couple times and they were threatening to take him to the NICU if he failed again, so the first 8 hours were a little stressful.  When the girls came to meet him, I was having to keep him really calm and still so he wouldn't use too much energy and drop his blood sugar levels.  
It was still a very special moment when they got to see him for the first time.  Anna had almost the same reaction she had when Haven was born - she was very cautious and just took everything in almost in awe.  She kept her hands up by her face a lot of the time and just looked at him and me.  She had such a sweet, sensitive demeanor and talked in a soft voice to us.
 Little Haven's reaction was just as I expected - she was very excited to see him and ran right over.  She had a big smile and immediately wanted to touch him.
 
 Our first picture as a family of five.
 
 Our siblings' families stopped by and we got to show Caleb off to them.
 
 
 
 
My college roommate, Cara, happened to be in town from New York for work and was able to visit.  Although she didn't get to stay long, it was so special for me to get to share that time with her.
 Our sweet friend Lauren.
 After 36 hours in the hospital, we were packed up and ready to go.  Here he is in his going home outfit.
 
 Proud daddy.
 Adoring mama.
 This may very well be my last ride down the halls of a hospital in a wheelchair with a new baby in my arms, so I was a little emotional.
 
 Somehow we didn't get pics of the grandparents at the hospital, but it wasn't long before they came to see Caleb again.  Gigi has a picture like this with all her grandchildren.
 Appy and Grandy with their 2nd grandson out of 10 grandchildren!
Our faithful friends Mindy and Ashley also came to meet Caleb shortly after we came home.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I loved seeing all the family memories being created!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh I love it all! You are so right it is always so special

    ReplyDelete