Tuesday, September 25, 2012

BFFs


In the last week, I have heard from two different sources that siblings can and should be best friends.  When I hear something more than once in a short period of time, I start to pay attention.  
I've just always thought that obviously I want the girls to be best friends but it can't be forced. 
What if their personalities are too different or they just prefer to be best friends with others, is that so wrong? 
One source was set of parents who explained that it was a rule in their house that the siblings would be best friends.  
It is within these relationships that their children learned to honor, respect and love others and to work out conflicts.  
If children can't do this at home, how can we expect to do it out in the world?  
It was also a rule they said, because circumstances always change and other friends will come and go and move away, but siblings are always together.  
 
I still don't think I can force the girls to be best friends, but this value will be encouraged in our home.  
It is not something that just happens, we will have to work at it!  
In fact, I hear screaming right now (not kidding), so here is a chance to put it into practice. :) 
This was taken seconds after the first picture. Anna tends to hug Haven longer than she prefers.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting thoughts - it would seem difficult to dictate they'll be best friends but I can see why you would want to encourage it. The more families do together, it seems that would be a natural tendency to be close. At least that was the case in my family....and hope it's true for our girls.

    ReplyDelete