Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I Heart NY

 
When my roommates and I graduated college, I took off to Lowman, Idaho (population: 100) for an internship with the US Forest Service and they went the opposite direction to New York City (population: way more than Lowman, Idaho).  I found my way back to Texas 6 months later when the internship ended, Rachel moved back to Austin about 8 years later and Cara is still in New York!
 
 I knew once Cara had her baby girl, Elizabeth, I wanted to take a trip by myself to spend time with her family and revisit in a city that I absolutely love.  I have been to New York two times in the past and seen several of the tourist sites.  This trip was very laid back and I had the perfect time just catching up with Cara and seeing her in her new role as a mommy.
 
 I did request that I get to eat a bagel and pizza while I was there.  I was able to walk five minutes from their apartment to an authentic New York bagel shop.  According to Cara, I didn't even go to the intense one, but this Texas girl was still intimidated.  I had just walked in, was trying to decide what I wanted and heard them yelling "Next! Next!".  I didn't think they were talking to me because there were at least 5 other people in front of me in line and I had literally just walked in.  Turns out, it was me they were yelling at so I quickly blurted something out.  I have to admit, it was worth it and one of the best bagels I've ever had.

Another highlight for me was taking the subway from Brooklyn to downtown NY to attend Redeemer Presbyterian, the church Tim Keller founded.  He truly has a unique gift for teaching and is one of my favorite pastors to listen to and learn from.  I also love his heart for the city and cultural renewal.  Although, he was not preaching at the service I attended, I was thankful to get to worship with the Church in New York. 

Also for me, just the time ALONE on the airplane was such a treat!  It was nice to have a break from the constant needs of my little ones, but I was so glad to get to see their sweet faces on Facetime everynight.  I'm thankful to Brad, his parents and my mom who made it possible for me to leave for a few days.  Of course, the second I got on the return flight, I could not wait to be back home with my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment