Wednesday, April 10, 2013

That Time I Got to Pretend I Was a Doula

 On March 18th, I had the honor of being my sister's "doula" as her and Giam welcomed their third boy, Thomas Isaac Sigaud, into the world.  I use the term doula loosely because she was amazing and didn't really need my help.  Plus, I have no official training in this area.  My biggest contribution was documenting the event.  Witnessing a birth is truly a miracle and I am so thankful to Karri and Giam for giving me that opportunity.
 Her main support was Giam and I did not want to get in the way of that.  They made a great team!
 This was seconds after he was born in the water and they found out they had a THIRD son.
 The hospital was wonderful and really encourages kangaroo care with mom and dad. They don't wisk the baby away to the nursery unless there are complications. 
 They also allowed Karri and Thomas to take an herbal bath in the birthing tub after she had a little time to recover.
Of course, Anna was itching to come hold her newest cousin.  I love how still and calm she gets when she holds tiny babies.  She even talks in a softer voice.

2 comments:

  1. You were a great doula! Telling me to loosen the tension in my jaw was one of the key things to helping me through the pushing. Thanks sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it was amazing and such a special time. Congratulations Karri & Giam on your new beautiful baby boy!

    ReplyDelete