Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Caleb's Baby Dedication

We dedicated our precious boy to the Lord at our church on December 1st.  I look forward to my children's baby dedications more than I do their first birthdays!  It is good to take time to focus on and dream about what God has planned for our children and the role we will plan in that.  We were thankful that so many of our family members were there to agree with us as we raise Caleb in this way.
He looked so handsome in his bowtie!

Our children's pastor gave the parents the opportunity to write a blessing to be prayed over their child during the ceremony.  It was very meaningful for each family and I really appreciated this.
She read something that Brad wrote when he was praying for Caleb before he was born and we were deciding on his name:
One of our prayers for Caleb is that his name would give him identity.  His first name means faithful, whole-hearted devotion so we pray that above all else, he would be fully committed and faithful to God all the days of his life.  Henry means ruler of the home, so we pray that after God, his family and home life would be his next priority.  There are many stories about perseverance associated with the last name Bruce, so we pray that he values perseverance in his work and in all other areas in his life.
When I was pregnant with Caleb and specifically praying for him when we were on vacation in May, I was lead to read the book of Proverbs.  It is a book about wisdom for living.  Several sentences begin with "My Son..." and "Hear, my son...".  Although I have read through Proverbs before, I read it in a new way as I saw the word son repeated over and over and thought about raising my own.

Proverbs 3:1-6 especially reflects the desire of my heart for Caleb.

My son, do not forget my teaching,
But let your heart keep my commandments;
For length of days and years of life
And peace they will add to you.
Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favor and good repute
In the sight of God and man.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
 
Grandy has a tradition of writing a song for each of her grandchildren and this time Happy wrote it with her.  They sang it with my mom for everyone in our family to hear.  It is based on the words that Brad wrote about Caleb and is very meaningful.
This was such a good photo op of the 3 generations of Bruce men, but by the time I grabbed my camera, Caleb started to fuss! 
Me and my mama.  She had two girls then a baby boy just like me.

1 comment: