Saturday, January 28, 2012

For you are our glory and joy. ~ 1 Thessalonians 2:20

Last Sunday we had the privilege, as parents, to stand before our family and church family and dedicate Haven to Jesus. One day, it will be her choice if she wants to follow Him.
She was the only baby dedicated which was a first for our church that is always full of babies. It was extra special for Haven to be the only one. Our pastor read this verse "To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." from Colossians. He emphasized to us that we have Christ in us and as her parents, we can pass on that hope to Haven.
Then he prayed for us while the rest of the church extended their hands out to us in agreement.
Afterwards, everyone came to our house for lunch. Brad's 97 year old grandma was in town and loved being with all the little ones.
I shared with my family something I felt the Lord had revealed to me during a bible study I did the week leading up to the dedication. In 2 Thessalonians Chapter 2, Paul expresses his loving care for the Thessalonians. When I read verse 2 which says "we proved to be gentle among you, as a nursing mother tenderly cares for her own children", I pictured sweet Haven nursing on me and started to relate what Paul was saying to being a parent. Later in verse 11 he says " we were exhorting and encouraging and imploring each one of you as a father would his own children" and I thought of how Brad will both encourage and at times redirect the girls out of his love for them. At the end of the chapter he says "for who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming?" and I pictured my little Haven standing before Jesus and I got tears in my eyes. As her mama, that is my hope for her. She is our glory and joy!

1 comment: