Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Keystone, Colorado Part I

Over the summer, Brad and I were talking about taking a trip and in theory, it sounded like a good idea. Let's all go skiing together for Christmas this year! We'll forgo presents and take a vacation instead! We can rent a 12 passenger van so everyone, including one 4 year old, 2 two year olds, and a 6 month old can fit in one car! Somehow my family agreed to our little plan and it came to fruition this December.

I'm not sure how, but after being a parent for over 2 and a half years, the word vacation still conjured up thoughts of rest, relaxation, sleep, and adventure. That isn't exactly how I would describe this trip; although, to be fair there was a little bit of each of those things. I think my friend Stacey put it best when she said that when the kids go, she calls it a family trip, not a vacation. I'm going to use that from now on.

I am being a bit dramatic. :) We had a great time overall and Brad absolutely LOVED skiing, so it was worth it. I don't want to sound like I am complaining about getting to go to a beautiful place like Colorado and stay in an amazing mountain cabin with my family and extended family. Just sayin' vacations aren't what they used to be. :)

Here is the townhouse I found on VRBO (I have had good luck renting places through this site).
Align CenterAnd the view from the patio.One of the best parts of this trip for me was watching the four cousins have so much fun together.Playing charades one night.
I'm not sure how many times they watched Small One, at least 10. I didn't mind that much since it is my favorite Disney production ever!
Riding in the wagon at Keystone.While planning this trip, I envisioned little Anna frolicking in the snow building snowmen, sledding, and having snowball fights with her cousins. That all changed when after spending at least 10 minutes bundling her up, we walked outside and she lost it when snow got on her mitten! I was like what!?! We just drove 15 hours to come to a place covered in snow and you don't even want it on your MITTEN!?! After a little coaxing and having her watch Lucas, I convinced her to make a snow angel.

Then we headed over to Keystone, where the daddies were skiing. We thought it might be fun for the kids to ride with them in the gondola.

Lucas loved it like he loved everything. This is such a sweet pic of him and my sis.
Anna tolerated it for awhile...
then she was done! Poor thing got pretty cold. She is definitely a Texas girl like her mama.Once I realized that Anna was having more fun being in the warm townhouse, drinking hot cocoa, playing with cars and watching cartoons with her cousins, I let her. We both enjoyed ourselves more after that!

Stay tuned for part II...

1 comment:

  1. I was laughing so hard at this post because I can totally relate. We took the twins to Alaska with us when they were 1. Our friends came to with their 1 year old and I thought we would all have a blast...and it was the worst trip ever. My friend and I seriously considered flying home early with the kids but we lasted the whole time. At least we have a memory out of the trip and know what to never do again. :)

    ReplyDelete